Thursday, August 28, 2014

Make Way for Lots o' Lettuce!

Lauren and I have always dabbled in salads for dinner, providing a nice break from the average spaghetti or rice dish. So the other night we decided to make a good dinner salad and found ourselves without any greens of any kind and not much else in the way of veggies. Earlier that afternoon a friend of ours had come by the trailer and reminded us that it was food bank day. As we had our card to the food bank already and knew we had enough gas to get there, we went to check it out.

There was quite a variety of baking supplies, breads, chips and such. We got a bag of bagels and come cupcake liners, then went on to the fresh vegetables where they had carrots and big bags of lettuce, both of which we got.

Lots o' lettuce!
When we got home, I turned my attention on the lettuce, dividing to what turned out to be three gallon-sized realizing plastic bags. Whoa! that was going to be a lot of salads! Obviously lettuce is not freezable and it won't keep forever in the fridge so I decided to see how many ways I could use lettuce in a very non-traditional way. What vegetables could be substituted with lettuce? Can I cook with lettuce? Can I toss lettuce into a warm dish to give it a fresh juicy crunch?


Below is what I've come up with so far.
Each time I come up with a new way to use lettuce, 
I will pose the link below:

Egg Lettuce Tacos


 

No comments:

Post a Comment