Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hamburgers Down Memory Lane

Food has a way of bringing back memories. In this case, today was a busy day, so Nut helped out with dinner, making one of his favorite go to dishes, hamburgers. It was just a burger for each of us, so it was not worth firing up the grill for just that. So he pan fried them, warmed the buns in the microwave, and we each dressed our own.

Now the memory. Nut and I have been in and out of penny pinching phases our whole lives together. During one such time, our favorite thing to do was hop in the car and go for a drive (gas was much cheaper back then). It gave a little escape, a mental vacation before we had to go back to the reality of our financial hardship.

The first stop would usually be to top off the tank. While we were at the gas station, we would pick up a burger for breakfast. They were 2/$1.00, and had a little mini bar of condiments and toppings that you could dress your own burger before you paid for it. There was no limit to how much you could put on your burger, so, along with the usual mustard and ketchup, I would pile high with onion, pickle, and pickled jalapeno.... salad and a burger in one.

So tonight when I dressed my burger, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and loaded on the pickles and onions. We didn't have any pickled jalapeno, but I did break form and sneak a slice of tomato.

Tonight I'm the taste tester because Nut cooked the burgers. I say it was yummy, maybe because this time, the burgers were fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment