Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Last of the Smothered - Pizza a la Crockpot


The sauce. Rich tomato, meaty, chuncky.

What should I do with it? I had a lot of options... Tacos, borcsht... Nut was wanting pizza. No more worries. That's what's for dinner.

I came across this great recipe for a pizza style dish that Nut really likes, and using this leftover sauce was the perfect base for this recipe. What's even better is it's cooked in a crockpot!

I came across this recipe from a very inspiring website, a lady who decided to cook in her crockpot for a whole year. I love that! Her answer to pizza is what we had for dinner. This is basically a three layer dish.

I rubbed the bottom and up the sides of the crockpot with butter. The bottom layer is the leftover sauce.

Next is the following:
  • 1c flour
  • 1c milk
  • 2 eggs
Mix that batter up, then I added some parmesan cheese as well... not much more than 1/2 cup.
This is the next layer. Once mixed, pour it in.

The top layer is having fun with which whatever you would top a pizza. This time around, I went with what we had on hand:
  • pepperoni slices
  • colby/jack cheese
  • sliced green olives
That's over the top of the batter. Cover crockpot, and put on high for 3-4 hours. (after 3 hours, start paying attention. Remember the nose knows. When you smell it, check it.

Taste Tester Results: Total thumbs up. Give that man some pepperoni, ya never go wrong!

Katie notes: I've noticed that this could be more than a recipe, it could be a method for several of this style of dish. I'm going to test this in the future, but I'm thinking, if you have a leftover cream soup, or even leftover stew... let that be the sauce. Pour over the batter, but don't forget to add herbs or cheese to enhance the flavor. Then over the top... whatever you have. It's going to cook in the crockpot so even if you piled on fresh spinach, I think it would work because as the crockpot cooks it is a steamy environment, which is perfect. I'm going to experiment with my leftovers in the future with this method. This is an excellent way to use up leftovers which equals an almost free meal that could feed four healthy appetites. I will let you know results of future experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment