Friday, April 6, 2012

Saucy Sausage Pizza

Is it a wind in the air?

No, you can taste it, smell it ... the unrelenting craving... this time a ferocious one.

Pizza!

Ok, no funds for order in or take out. So how do we deal with this situation?

Simple. Go to the pantry. Go to the freezer and fridge. Make a pizza.


From the Pantry:

I recommend doing this.... my recipe for Dough for One, is in reality just dry ingredients, to which, just add water. So I started pre-measuring the dry ingredients, of my recipe, into quart zip lock baggies, therefore, when needed, I can just add water.

I grab my baggie of pre-measured bread ingredients, add my 3/4 c water and mixed my pizza dough. (A little extra flour was needed as the recipe says, but dough still turned out great). Dough was set aside to rise for about one and a half hours.

Once risen, the dough was flattened into a sheet pan form. I pricked the dough with a fork, drizzled lightly with olive oil, and generously seasoned with:
  • oregano
  • Italian seasoning
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper
Also from the pantry:
  • 1 4oz can sliced black olives
In 375 degree oven dough was par-baked for 7 minutes.

From the Freezer:
  • 1 lb sausage (whatever kind you like)
From the Fridge:
  • 1/2 medium onion coarsely chopped
  • shredded cheese... any that you have. I used the last of three bags of cheeses (still good of course): mozzarella, parmesan, sharp cheddar.
  • ketchup... enough to spread over the dough
While the dough was rising, Nut browned up the thawed sausage. It smelled great, and once it was browned he nibbled whenever he thought he was out of reach of my wooden spoon!

Meanwhile, I started soaking the chopped onion in a coffee mug, in a simple brine of:
  • 1t salt
  • 1t sugar
... and filled to cover with water. This was just to take the edge off the onion. They sat in the brine for about 30 minutes and were drained before adding to the pizza.

The crust is out of the oven, and time to assemble the pizza.

Ketchup...all over the crust. Then sprinkle with all of the spices listed above. Then whatever order you want, the following toppings.

(remember, you can use any toppings to your taste. This is just what Nut and I did this night)
  • parmesan
  • onions
  • olives
  • sausage
  • cheddar
  • mozzerella
Then bake for 25 minutes 375 degrees. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it up.

Taste Tester Results: Yummy! He even liked it for breakfast this morning!
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment